Top Reasons You Might Be Experiencing Hair Loss And What You Can Do
You might think you’re the only one who experiences hair loss, but the facts on thinning hair and hair loss are staggering. As many as 35 million men and 21 million women are affected by hair loss. That thinning hair may start when you're 35, but it only worsens by the time you're 80. Since you know it's an issue that affects so many Americans; it's time to do something about it!
At Luster's Products, we've talked about the issue of hair loss in the past. Resa B. Luster-Mac, Senior Brand Manager and 3rd-generation Luster executive, shared her experiences with postpartum hair loss.
But she's not the only one who's had that experience. According to the American Pregnancy Association, as many as 40-50% of women have some experience with postpartum hair loss. While postpartum hair loss is temporary, you may still experience hair loss for other reasons at some time in your life. So, what causes it?
What Causes Hair Loss?
With so many people experiencing hair loss, there have to be many good reasons. It doesn't happen all the time, and there are some lifestyle choices and hairstyle options that could worsen your hair loss. Here are just some of the causes of hair loss:
- Genetics: You’re more likely to experience hair loss if there’s a family history of hair loss.
- Age: We talked a minute ago about how your hair loss can become more pronounced as you get older. The reality is that your cell production slows down as you age.
- Metabolic syndrome & insulin resistance: This can be linked with a risk of developing diabetes and heart disease. So, it's essential to understand that hair loss and thinning can be your body's way of telling you that you should seek medical intervention.
- Medications: Your doctor will usually tell you if you’re taking a medication that could have hair loss as one of the side effects. Still, it’s important to mention it here and keep it in mind.
- Oxidative Stress: Here's where lifestyle can come into play. If you smoke, spend a lot of time in the sun, consume excessive amounts of alcohol, or even on specific diets, you may be damaging your hair follicles. That damage can lead to hair loss.
- Tractional Alopecia: This causes concerns about how you take care of your hair. If you constantly use hair dryers, hair straighteners, and other damaging elements on your hair, there's a good chance you'll experience hair loss. You can also cause hair loss by constantly using chemicals on your hair or using traumatizing hairstyles that damage your hair follicles.
- Covid-19: Studies have shown that more than 30% of patients that get hospitalized are experiencing hair loss in the next 3-6 months after getting discharged. Hair loss shedding can last up to 6-9 months before it stops.
- Other Medical Conditions: An oily scalp, thyroid conditions, low blood circulation, and even iron deficiency can cause hair loss.
With so many factors that can cause hair loss, the good news is that you can often do something about it.
What Can You Do About Hair Loss?
While we know that hair loss can be frustrating and annoying, we also offer an in-house solution that's proven to help fill in the bald spots and mitigate the effects of hair loss. Our Pink® Lush Growth Oil comes standard with these key ingredients: Castor, Tea Tree, Clary Sage, Rosemary, Coconut, Carrot, and Lavender Oils with Vitamin E. The formulation supports the growth of your lush, thick hair while preventing the build-up of skin cells that clog your hair follicles and contribute to hair loss.
Beyond stimulating hair growth, this Pink® Lush Growth Oil relieves the itch and promotes your healthy scalp. The hair growth oil protects against split ends and hair breakage as it encourages growth, strengthening, and thickening. It's the perfect combination of exclusive natural blends to revitalize your hair.
Luster’s Natural Hair Products offers the rejuvenating nutrients you need to help support healthy hair growth, no matter what time of year it is.